The summer of 1963 made Williamston a hotspot for Civil Rights as hundreds of protesters marched and sang in pursuit of equal access to schools, jobs and public facilities for blacks in what became known as the Williamston Freedom Movement.

The local native indians called the Roanoke River "Morratock" meaning "River of Death".

The mural on the wall of the United States Post office in Williamston, NC was painted in 1940 as part of the WPA projects by artist Von Saltza

The first operating railroad was established in Martin County in 1872. The Jamesville and Washington Railroad and Lumber Company, affecionately nicknamed the "Jolt and Wiggle" moved lumber and passengers between Jamesville and Washington, NC.

In 1585, Ralph Lane, the governor of the Roanoke settlement, and a group of forty men journeyed up the Roanoke River in a fruitless search for gold.